Knowing your glass prescription
- Anatomy of the eye
- Common refractive errors
- Knowing your glass prescription
- Am I the candidate for laser
- Pre refractive procedure
- Types of laser refractive
- Difference between of
PRK and LASIK
- Magnitude of refractive power
that can be corrected
- Wavelight EX 500 laser
- Frequently asked questions
- Laser corrective procedure
- side effects
Knowing your vision prescription is an important part of identifying if you are a good LASIK candidate. You are not required to bring in a previously administered vision prescription; this will be retested during your LASIK evaluation.
After having your eye exam, the doctor will identify the amount of correction needed in each eye. This information will then be used to correct your vision during the LASIK surgery. LASIK laser eye surgery can correct vision impairments such as myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. The degree of these conditions is measured in units called diopters. The extent of your nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism will define your vision prescription in diopter units. This represents the amount of vision correction you need to normalize your eyesight.
For example, a typical prescription is: -7.00 -2.50 X 90
* -7.00 identifies the degree of your nearsightedness or farsightedness. The plus or minus sign identifies whether you are nearsighted (-) or farsighted (+).
* -2.50 identifies the degree of astigmatism. Sign can be either (-) or (+).
* 90 identifies where the astigmatism is positioned. This astigmatism is located at ninety degrees, or in the vertical axis.
How much of the cornea the laser shapes and the
Terms and Definitions
Myopia – Commonly known as nearsightedness . Close objects are able to be seen clearly and objects farther away are blurry. Spectacles wil have – ve power
Hyperopia – Commonly known as farsightedness. Objects farther away are clear and objects closer are blurry. Spectacles will have +ve power
Astigmatism – Blurred vision most commonly caused by an irregular shaped cornea. Spectacles willhave cylindrical power